If you were arrested for a first DUI in Las Vegas, then call Gallo Law Office for a free consultation.
Many of our clients have no prior record and never imagined being charged with drunk driving. For certain professions, an accusation can have serious consequences to the person's career. Those professionals include nurses and other health care professionals, lawyers, law enforcement officers and civilians employed by those agencies, and members of the military. The collateral consequences are also particular harsh for commercial or CDL drivers or individuals that drive as part of their employment.
After a first arrest, find out what you need to do immediately to protect your driver's license from the administrative suspension. For the criminal aspect of the case, Gallo Law Office can help you avoid a DUI conviction by pursuing a reduction to reckless driving or dismissal.
Call Attorney James C. Gallo in Las Vegas to discuss your case and develop the best strategy to fight a first offense for DUI. James C. Gallo represents clients for drunk driving and drugged driving charges throughout Clark County including the City of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City. Call today for a free consultation.
Overview of First Offense of Drunk Driving
- Types of DUI Charges in Nevada
- Penalties for a First DUI
- Resources for the 1st DUI Arrest in Nevada
- Finding an Attorney for a First DUI in Las Vegas
Types of DUI Charges in Nevada
Nevada law provides that it is a crime for a person to drive or be in actual physical control of a motor vehicle under any of the following conditions:
- the driver was actually impaired by alcohol or drugs; or
- the driver has a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .08 or above;
- the driver's blood contains an illegal or prescription drug above a specified concentration.
Enhanced penalties can apply if the driver was involved in a crash causing property damage, personal injury or the death of another person. Other enhanced penalties can apply if a child was a passenger in the vehicle, the breath or blood alcohol concentration was high (.18 or higher) or an open container was found in the vehicle.
Related charges include driving on a suspended license and reckless driving .
Penalties for a First DUI
The penalties for a first DUI in Las Vegas include:
- Jail Time: from 2 days to 6 months in jail (alternatively the court can impose 24 to 96 hours of community service. In many cases, the court will impose a suspended jail sentence of 6 months).
- DUI School: the successful completion of the DUI school's educational classes in Las Vegas at your own expense (DUI online classes are available).
- VIP: completion of a Victim Impact Panel which is a lecture sponsored by the Mother's Against Drunk Driving (MADD) explaining the impact of drunk or drugged driving on the community.
- Fines: the court must impose fines ranging from $400 to $1,000 plus additional court costs. In Las Vegas, the courts usually impose a $600 fine for a first offense of DUI.
- Driver's License Suspension and/our restrictions: the court is required to impose a 90 day suspension of your driver's license. You may install an Ignition Interlock Device for 180 days and drive on a restricted license.
- Under 21 years old: if you were under 21 years of age at the time of the offense then you must undergo a alcohol or drug abuse treatment program.
- BAC of .18 or Higher: additionally penalties are imposed if your BAC was .18 or greater, including the successful completion of an alcohol or drug abuse treatment program. A.18 BAC or above requires an ignition interlock device in your car for one to three years.
Resources for the 1st DUI Arrest in Nevada
First DUI Penalties in Nevada – read more about the punishments for a 1st Dui in Nevada in a brochure published by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Nevada Department of Transportation (DOT).
DUI penalties in the State of Nevada for a 1st Offense - Visit the website of the Advisor Council for Prosecuting Attorneys to learn more about Nevada's driving under the influence (DUI) laws. Information includes a summary of the criminal and administrative penalties under Nevada's illegal per se law, and the zero tolerance law for a driver under the age of 21.
Finding an Attorney for a First DUI in Las Vegas
If you were arrested for a first lifetime DUI in Las Vegas, then find out more about how to fight the charges in the courtrooms throughout the greater Las Vegas area, including the cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City and Mesquite.
Attorney James C. Gallo provides a free consultation to discuss the facts of your case either in the office or over the phone. Call today to schedule the free consultation. Act quickly to preserve all of your rights and have the best chance of avoiding a DUI conviction.